[Mgs] reliable fuel pumps

Monte/Jane Morris montejane at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 13:07:47 MST 2010

I remember on my first B, a 68 that I bought in 72,  I would have to
periodically "thump" the fuel pump. Since it had wire wheels, I had just the
lead hammer I needed for this precision work.

I replaced a non-original SU fuel pump in my 79 B five or six years ago, and
have put about 15,000 miles on it, trouble-free.

On the 67B that I had for about 5 years, it had an electronic, aftermarket
pump, that proved reliable for the probably 20,000 miles I put on it.

I think I will try rebuilding the SU on the 79 when it finally goes south
because, as has been mentioned, at least you can "thump" it and usually get
on down the road. (I also carry a 10' piece of hose and a squeeze bulb
that I can route from the tank to the fuel line if worse comes to worse:).