[Mgs] Overdrive does not work when it is hot.

Allen Bachelder bachldrs at airadv.net
Tue Aug 31 21:34:50 MDT 2010

Another way to skin this cat (if I may use that metaphor) if you wish to
bypass the lockout switch, use a relay wired to the reverse light switch
such that when the primary is energized (by the reverse light circuit), the
secondary (wired to the overdrive) is shut down. This option gives you
overdrive in any gear (should you ever want it), but disables the overdrive
when the car is in reverse.

I have not done this, but I do have an indicator light for the overdrive (as
does Max), which might warn you, should the reverse lamp circuit, or the
relay fail. I got this idea from a vintage racer friend who likes to have OD
available in any gear - particularly 2nd - while racing. He can also
energize the relay from a cockpit switch for fast engagement/disengagement.

Another advantage is that a reverse lamp switch is a heckuva lot easier to
replace than an OD lock-out switch!

FWIW,
Allen
Allen H. Bachelder  =iii=<