[Mgs] OIL

Paul Hunt paul.hunt1 at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Aug 30 02:22:31 MDT 2010

The factory recommended 10W/30 only for temps consistently between 10C
to -20C/50F to -5F.  For temps above that the lowest recommended grade is
10W/40.  Very low viscosity oils are intended for modern low-clearance
engines, where high viscosity can erode the bearing material as well as
reduce through-put.  Conversely modern low viscosity oils are said to allow
more metal to metal contact in older engines with higher clearances, but
then we have had this, erm, discussion before.