[Mgs] Oil Weight in the NW

David Breneman david_breneman at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 26 08:17:23 MDT 2010

--- On Thu, 8/26/10, Jack Feldman <qualitas.jack at gmail.com> wrote:

> My son has our MGC in Portland. We
> usually have the oil changed every year
> before the ABFM. This year the shop put in 30W. I have
> never heard of that
> before, and the mechanic said it that was what was used in
> the NW where the temp stays above freezing.

I had the engine in my MGA (a 5-main MGB engine installed
by the previous owner) rebuilt 2002.  At the recommendation
of the mechanic, I've been running 30W in it since and it's
been just fine.  His contention is that whereas newer
engines are designed for variable-viscosity oil, older
engines are not, and there's little to be gained from
using it if you're not racing.  I live on the Kitsap
Peninsula, and I don't drive the car in winter except on
an occasional sunny day.