[Mgs] Repair or replace Radiator?

Barrie Robinson barrie at look.ca
Wed Aug 25 13:07:28 MDT 2010

Bill,

It never is my take that any lister is taking a snipe at me.  On the
whole everyone is polite and we all share experiences with no malice
a fore thought!.  But I have to go by my experience and that is an al
rad replacing a virtually new brass one from D&D (no slouches in
quality) made one awesome difference.  Now, admittedly, I have a
stonking V8 in the gnat sized engine bay and overheating is legendary
for V8 conversions but it did fix my problem.   Whenever I go to V8
meets the usual cry for those with the dreaded hot flushes problem is
answered by advice to go to an al rad.  Maybe the new copper is
Kurnifer which is copper and nickel???

At 12:15 PM 8/25/2010, WSpohn4 at aol.com wrote:
>No question that the rigidity of the material allows larger tube
>diameters, and the core construction is thus different.  The shop I
>talk to says that while this will give advantage over OEM rads with
>brass tanks and copper cores, it isn't better than a modern
>'optimal' copper core which is what they now use for recoring them.
>
>I have nothing against alloy cores, I just see them being given all
>the credit for improving cooling when in fact 90% of the improvement
>is due to ditching a clogged OEM core for a clean modern one.
>
>I use alloy core on some of my stuff, but still use copper in the
>race car.  The advantages are more the lighter weight for the same
>cooling and the fact that you can easily get a crossflow core.
>
>Didn't mean to snipe at you, I was just commenting that I didn't
>entirely agree with what you had stated, Barrie.
>
>Bill
>
>In a message dated 8/25/2010 9:02:30 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
>barrie at look.ca writes:
>I was told (and I have not checked out my al rad) that aluminium
>allowed big fat high surface area tubes that would be impossible
>with copper/brass.  Thus it gave vastly more cooling surface which
>pounded copper/brass rads into the ground ...well, slight
>exaggeration.  But every time I chat to an al rad installer they all
>say it made a marked improvement.  This especially true in the MGB
>V8 crowd.    My al rad was exactly the same size as the brass one
>from D&D - but it cooled considerably better - no bones about that.

Regards

Barrie
barrie at look.ca
705--721-9060