[Mgs] Brake failure - What caused it?

mgbob at juno.com mgbob at juno.com
Tue Aug 24 08:37:24 MDT 2010

  A plausible explanation is that, over the months when parked, the MC lost
whatever fluid had been in it and rust developed in the cylinder. When you
topped it up, the MC worked well enough initially, but the rust chewed away
the cups and now they cannot consistently make the pressure needed for the
brakes.
  The brake-light clue would be puzzling in earlier cars, but as the switch in
'69 is activated by pedal motion, not by hydraulic pressure, it does not
matter.
  What is interesting, though, is that yours is a two-section MC. One would
expect that either front or rear brakes would have worked.
  R&R of the MC is not difficult (have a 12" extension and 7/16 sockets for
the under-dash nuts), though rebuilding of this MC is not something I have
successfully accomplished.
  What do you think?
Bob