[Mgs] Brake failure - What caused it?

Andrew B. Lundgren lundgren at byu.net
Tue Aug 24 08:25:14 MDT 2010

  You have a slow leak some place.

Last week I had to replace a frozen front caliper.  One piston was
frozen out and it was leaking very slowly internally behind the piston.
I didn't catch it in time and ruined a disk.  I got the car in '96; as
of last week the remaining pads were still only about half gone.  I now
have new pads, rotors and one rebuilt caliper it breaks just like it did
before the failure.  (I was hoping for some new stopping power as the
old breaks were probably 20+ years old.)

My dad taught me to pump the breaks when they don't work the first
time.  I am very thankful for that as it is a horrible feeling when the
pedal goes all the way down.