[Mgs] hesitation

Councill, David dcouncill at msubillings.edu
Mon Aug 16 14:43:44 MDT 2010

I throw in another possibility based on the description as it sounds
similar to a problem I had last year with my 67BGT. The problem was
intermittent but usually happened after the engine was at operating
temperature and when trying to accelerate after maintaining a steady
speed (probably 2800-3200 rpm). Mine was more of a hesitation, somewhat
of a miss. Maybe the same problem, maybe something entirely different,
but we are relying on personal descriptions here. It took a bit of time
to figure out my problem but it was the front carb piston (HS4s) that
would stick after maintaining steady operation, partially elevated but
hung up trying to go up further. I had to monkey around with piston/jet
alignment (rise/drop motions) until I got it running smooth again.
Anyway, another thing to check along with other suggestions given. As
Paul mentioned earlier - what does the tach do when this happens? That
will help differentiate whether its electrical or fuel (assuming it is
not a mechanical tach from 1965 or earlier).

David Councill
64 B
67 BGT
72 B