[Mgs] MGA Overheating

Simon Matthews simon.d.matthews at gmail.com
Sun Aug 15 18:28:06 MDT 2010

Tom,

For the timing to cause such level of overheating, it would have to be
a long way off, so you should start with a check of static timing.
This is easy to do with an MGA, since you can use the starting handle
to turn the engine over.

Do you have oil pressure when cold? 20 psi at 3000 rpm is way too low.

Did you check that the fan is installed the right way round? Is the
water pump actually working?

Barney advised checking the large hoses and the sealing between the
radiator and the bonnet. I am sure these make a difference, but I
don't have these on my '57 MGA and it doesn't get that hot that
quickly, even if the temperature is close to 100F.

I would not use a 195 F thermostat in summer, but I don't think this
is your problem.

Simon