[Mgs] Anyone want to adopt Sammy?

Richard Gosling rbgosling at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 11 03:35:06 MDT 2010

Never thought it would happen, but I've decided to sell Sammy.  I want to
have a car I use, not one that languishes in the garage, and since I rarely
go anywhere without kids (since I drive them to school on my way to work),
and my wife has vetoed the kids riding in the so-called "back seat" with no
seat-belts, I never get to drive her.  I need a frivilous fun old car with 4
seats!

So, Sammy is up for adoption.  1973 chrome bumper, black tulip (rare
'73-only shade of dark purple, lovely colour) with ochre interior.  She's a
good reliable runner, mechanically everything works just a it should, but
she won't win any prizes for cosmetic condition.  She's a driver, not a
show-er.

Good stuff:
-Just passed MOT last week (at first time of asking!).
-New radiator and water pump.
-Recent front suspension re-build with new springs, dampers and bushes.
-Recent new passenger door (whole shell, not just outer skin).
-New drivers side sill a couple of years ago (passenger side totally sound,
guess previous owner did it!).
-Whole braking system replaced with new/reconditioned components a couple of
years ago - Master and slave cylinders, calipers, front pads and discs, rear
shoes (drums fine), servo, flex-hoses (steel braided).
-Both front wings and passenger door repainted within last couple years.
-Stainless steel exhaust.
-Overdrive.

Less good stuff:
-Some surface rust, particularly around rear wing top seams and rear wheel
arches.
-Small (5p-sized) rust hole in front edge of bonnet.
-Dashboard paint somewhat chipped and showing its age.
-Rust on bumpers.
-Rust on wing mirrors (and they were brand new 5 years ago! cheap poor
quality modern chrome plating).
-For some reason the front seats are vinyl and the rear is velour.  Should
all be velour in a BGT, no idea whether it's a previous owner change or the
factory had run out of velour front seats the day she was built.
-Oil cooler removed - it was leaking, and really not needed in this climate,
but could easily be replaced if desired.
-Gets through a little oil, but no more than most MGBs (and it all helps to
rust-proof the engine bay and underside of the car!).

The car is largely original, with original engine.  I've fitted alloy wheels
that look identical to those fitted to the MGB LE (although these actually
came off a Stag), got the original Rostyles but they are badly rusted.  14"
leather-rimmed steering wheel fitted.  Decent Blaupunkt stereo, 4-speaker
which involved fitting speakers in the panels beside the rear seat (done
quite neatly, if I may say so!).  Otherwise everthing is pretty much as MG
built it.
Photos can be found at
http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/104546114401834027749/MGBGT#

Price is #1,900, and the car can be viewed, tested, and collected in
Newburgh, just north of Aberdeen.

E-mail me, or give me a call on 01224 615172 (work hours) or 07759 331936
(any other time).