[Mgs] MGA spin-on oil filter

don don at napanet.net
Tue Aug 3 22:04:22 MDT 2010

Thanks to all of you guys for the info on the oil filters!  My oil
pressure is less than 50 lb when the engine is at operating temp at
higher RPMs.  Perhaps fresh 20-50 oil will help.  It still has the
oil in from the PO, and it may be 30 wt.  At least I have a spare
1622 engine in my garage if something horrible happens.

In my early MG years, I used various oils and filters on my 1960 MGA
fitted with a 3-main B engine.  The combo that gave the best oil
pressure at all times was Castrol 20-50 and a cotton-felt
filter.  The cardboard filters cut oil pressure down a lot.  And back
then, Castrol was not readily available; I had to buy it when I was
lucky enough to find it.

Don Scott
Calistoga CA USA
1962 MGA Mk 2