[Mgs] Update -- 80 MGB: Faulty coil and fuel pump

Barrie Robinson barrie at look.ca
Mon Apr 19 08:36:04 MDT 2010

I have to confess a moment of complete stupidity!  This event adds to
my previous list of failing to drill out a bolt (because the drill
was in reverse), and then not being able to get into reverse (I was
using a different gear box pattern).   A week or so ago I took my MGB
GT V8 out for a spin - went like a dream.   Then I decided on another
spin but car started, grumbled and died.   It did this grumbling
until the battery was flat.  Fuel flow was fine, no loose wires,
nothing untoward.   Decided to have it flat bedded to my favourite
garage.  My friend from up the road came down, we looked at the
engine, hummed and harred and he pointed out that the choke was
on.  Yes, I said because the engine is cold.  Try taking the choke
off he said.   BROOOOM car started and ran fine, albeit had to put a
bit of choke on to keep it going 'til it warmed up.  So it was just
flooded and my brain cells for that thought were out.   Sometimes it
is the simple things in life that grab you by the proverbials.