[Mgs] Four Angry Cylinders

Mike Eldred redscirocco at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 13 08:43:40 MDT 2010

Thanks for that, Eric. Hilarious.

This is the most accurate description of starting a T-type I've ever heard:

"Starting the Shiftright Special is much like firing up any more ordinary TC.
One turns the ignition key to the ON position, theoretically activating the
Lucas electrical system. Then, using one free hand, the choke knob is pulled
out vigorously, until the dashboard begins to groan in protest, and then it is
retracted ever so slightly; with the other free hand, the starter pull knob is
also pulled; and with the last free hand, the gearshift is positioned into
neutral. This is the preferred method, since having both feet firmly planted
on the floor rather than on gas and clutch gives the driver the firm purchase
necessary to overpower the choke and starter cables."

and this:

"Ultimately, though, we will probably have to rely on quoting Karl Ludvigsen,
who seems to have intuitively grasped the TC design better than anyone else,
when he suggested the image of 'a coffin riding on four harps.'"

 http://www.roadandtrack.com/special_feature/1949-mg-tc-four-angry-cylinders

-Mike Eldred

Wilmington, VT
'54 MG TF

'73 MG Midget

> From: ejrussell at mebtel.net
> To: mgs at autox.team.net
> Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 13:12:20 -0400
> Subject: [Mgs] Four Angry Cylinders
>
> Road & Track drives the Shiftright Special.
>
> http://www.roadandtrack.com/special_feature/1949-mg-tc-four-angry-cylinders
>
> <quote>
> It is nothing short of remarkable that this car even exists today. The 1949
MG
> TC was certainly not built with the idea that it would be still running
many
> decades later. It is for this reason, for instance, that modern
skyscrapers,
> tunnels and freeways are not made of wood. Nonetheless, the TC was
certainly
> built to a purpose - to get a person from one place to another as
> uncomfortably as humanly possible has been suggested as the motive.
</quote>

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/redscirocco@hotmail.com