[Mgs] [Mgb-v8] Kendall Oil

Steven Trovato strovato at optonline.net
Thu Sep 24 07:04:32 MDT 2009

Yes, can't disagree with that.  Once again, the only thing I was
trying to do was explain how a manufacturer could claim two API
specifications without "making a mockery of the system".    As for my
actual opinion on the ZDDP issue, which I have not actually stated
yet, I look at it like this.  Maybe there is a problem with low ZDDP
oils and maybe not.  I have read dozens of opinions and I still don't
know.  My personal decision is to use Castrol Syntec 20W-50,
"formulated for classic cars".  Castrol states "The level of Zinc in
the new Syntec 20W-50 is a minimum of 1200 ppm, which will provide
excellent anti-wear protection for the cam and lifters in a
flat-tappet cam engine."  The only downside to this seems to be that
it costs a lot more than the Castrol GTX I was using.  And it was
hard to find.  Maybe there's a real issue here, maybe not.  Risking
major engine damage (whether the risk is real or imagined) versus a
few extra dollars, it seemed foolish to just ignore the issue.  As a
wise fellow named Paul Hunt once said, we are on our own, and have to
make our own decisions.

-Steve Trovato
strovato at optonline.net