[Mgs] too rich or too lean?

Bob Howard mgbob at juno.com
Mon Oct 26 06:28:26 MST 2009

Aaron,
   Pop pop pop stutter causes me to suspect the supply of fuel, perhaps
from clogged filter or failing fuel pump. It's the sound of insufficient
fuel.
   Had a similar situation myself recently in my '72 GT. Ran fine, did
not run, started fine, ran fine, did not run.  Turned out to be the
aftermarket fuel pump installed by DPO, a Harding.  Would pump about .9
pint into a test container, then stop. Switching igntion off and back on
would cause it to pump again.  .9 pint is sufficient for several minutes
running, and that makes diagnosis difficult w/o disconnecting the pump
and pumping into a container.
Bob