[Mgs] Fore and Aft Rod Movement

BDavis bdavispics at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 16 18:04:20 MDT 2009

I have a question about rod bearings on an MGB journal and would like some opinions, please.

Can there be 'any' lateral (forward - backward) rocking movement of a rod, up at the piston, when the piston is at TDC (no rings on the piston)?

Reason for the question: I can 'rock' the rod slightly in the bearing. I have some forward-backward movement at the top of the rod - not a lot but would have thought that the rod would not be allowed to do this.

These are 'new' Std. bearings (1,600 miles of use) on a new Std. crank and show normal wear. They were plastigaged at between 1 and 1.5 thou. between bearing and journals when installed. I have not plastigaged them again but as I say they show minimal wear for those few miles.

Thanks in advance for any information and opinions.
Bill