[Mgs] MGA 1500 ROCKER ARMS

Barney Gaylord barneymg at mgaguru.com
Sat Oct 3 20:46:50 MDT 2009

That being the case (which is likely correct), after shaving the
valve stems they also need to shim the valve springs to restore
original spring height and load.  Otherwise, cutting seats so deep as
to run out of adjustment range is a serious infraction of good
mechanics, for multiple reasons.  That's when it's time to bore out
the worn seats and install new hardened steel valve seats.  Do you
perchance have a picture of the combustion chamber showing the
current situation of the valve heads?

Cutting seats deeper, grinding valve heads thin, shortening valve
stems amd shimming valve springs is the sort of thing I might do to
my own car in my home garage to avoid paying the pro shop to fix it
right.  I hope I am past that stage of life or frugal finances (by at
least 30 years).  The fact that you ran out of adjustment range is
proof that the valve job was bodged, not the sort of thing you like
paying good money for to a "professional".  Did you have a chance to
inspect the valve seats before the valve gear was reinstalled?  Do
you know if the seats were properly narrowed to around 0.060" or so,
or might they be improperly wide with low surface pressure to invite
carbon build up and future early leakage?  One bodge may well follow another.

I suppose by now there is more labor time involved, and a new head
gasket consumed if you need to R&R the head again.  If you want to
continue on this "patch it up" path, then slip the rocker arm aside
and shorten the valve stem tip with a hand grinder.  That can get the
car back on the road, until the rest of the crude valve job catches
up with you later.  Not what you wanted to hear I suppose.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://MGAguru.com