[Mgs] Camshaft recommendations

Eric Markley ericemarkley at bellsouth.net
Fri Nov 13 16:32:00 MST 2009

Hello Elliot,

Lots of issues come to mind but if you are planning to keep the engine in
stock spec, then a stock equivalent cam seems to be the best choice. all of
the regular suppliers should have them. There is a hardening process
(Tuftride?) that would be good to have done before installation

If you are going to have the head moderately ported and raise the c.r. to a
moderate level (9.5:1 maximum) then a cam a little more aggressive than
stock would be in order. APT has the VP11 cam which is 260 duration and .286
intake and .293 exhaust lift. Classic Motorsports used this cam in their
July 2008 issue detailing their improved MGB engine. An excellent article if
you can find a copy. Piper and Kent used to have similar cams. Moss sells an
street performance cam but I have not seen the specifications. Most of what
I've read indicates that a 270 degree duration camshaft is as far as you
would want to go for a street B that retains it's below 2000 rpm torque.

If I were in your situation, I would replace the timing chain and gears, as
well as the pushrods and lifters, unless you are certain that they are in
serviceable condition.

I hope this is helpful and welcome the thoughts of others.

Eric