[Mgs] Dan H.'s Day ?

David Breneman david_breneman at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 6 22:19:55 MST 2009

--- On Fri, 11/6/09, Mark J Bradakis <mark at bradakis.com> wrote:

> When a message was posted to the MGs list, his script sent
> a response
> to the MG list noting he was out of the office.  The
> MG list sent it out,
> where his script got a copy of the message and did what he
> said to do.
> He sent a response to the list, the list sent a reply.
> He sent a response to the list, the list sent a reply.

etc...

Back in those days, Microsoft Mail did exactly that
right out of the box.  Unlike Unix vacation programs,
which kept a database of addresses they had responded
to, MSM sent a response to *every* message it received.
The only solution was to beg the user's ISP to
suspend his account until he returned.  The Net
was a lot better place before Gates and Jobs (and
AOL) "discovered" it in the mid-90s.  We're still
paying the price.  :-)