[Mgs] batteries and starting

mgb72 at airmail.net mgb72 at airmail.net
Tue May 26 07:41:10 MDT 2009

	Having to cut flanges off the case in order to make it fit will
invalidate any
 guarantee, cross your fingers and hope they don't spot it if you
have to
 claim.

	I have returned altered batteries with no issue, they are just going
to dispose of it anyway.  Cutting plastic away will not alter the
batteries operation.
	You also need to change the hold-down arrangements for a 12v.
	Gravity holds the battery down just fine so no need to redo anything
with the hold down

	These are just my experiences.
 On Tue 09/05/26 05:29 , "Paul Hunt"

	sent:
  If a battery has gone flat you can often recover most of its
apparently lost
 capacity by giving it a boost charge i.e. charge it at a higher
voltage than a
 conventional trickle charger or even on the car, i.e. greater than
14.5v for a
 couple of hours. Some years ago Mercedes were having to select
alternator
 voltage regulators picking the ones that gave a voltage at the
higher end of
 the tolerance as the ones at the lower end were allowing the battery
 gradually lose capacity.
 Whilst it's quite likely that the original tar-top batteries *are*
original
 technology inside, there is no reason why modern technology couldn't
be or
 isn't used, and I'm aware of at least three different styles of 6v
battery for
 the MGB. The original capacity was 58Ah/250CCA and I have found that
more
 than adequate for the UK, although I don't use the roadster in temps
below
 freezing and it's garaged. This capacity is available from a number
of
 suppliers, and Moss Europe have a 'heavy duty' 63Ah/295CCA as well.
Whilst
 modern, physically smaller 12v batteries do have a greater CCA they
tend to
 have a lower Ah rate which means whilst they will have better
cranking
 performance i.e. for cold conditions they will go flat quicker under
 conditions like stuck in traffic with lots of electrical stuff
running, or if
 you have to park anywhere with lights on.
 Having to cut flanges off the case in order to make it fit will
invalidate any
 guarantee, cross your fingers and hope they don't spot it if you
have to
 claim. You also need to change the hold-down arrangements for a 12v.