[Mgs] TD front axle

Mike Duvall duvallcom at sbcglobal.net
Mon May 25 15:28:54 MDT 2009

I discovered my TD 2541 has a big washer between the bearing and nut
and no grease hub cap.  I discovered the washer rides up onto the
bearing and the washer wears and causes heat.

I looked in the mg manual and it shows (section I figure 1.2) a felt
washer, grease retaining washer and nut. and section K.16 talks about
a service kit for cars without a hub to stop grease leakage.  I don't
understand how a felt washer would let you torque the nut properly.

Moss shows washer and nut with grease cap.

I'm assuming my best path would be to torque the nut and then try to
find a way to seal the hub or just keep it clean.   Anybody else have
a better idea or know a different solution?  I'm also assuming moss's
grease cap won't fit the early car.

Thanks,  Mike