[Mgs] Fitting a radio

Richard Gosling rbgosling at googlemail.com
Fri May 22 09:03:21 MDT 2009

I went with the speakers-in-doors method.  I just have a wire that emerges
from under the carpet close to the door hinge, and then disappears behind
the door trim.  Not super-elegant, but reasonably unobtrusive and works
fine.

The clearance between the back of the speakers and the window mechanism
isn't great, and requires speakers that are reasonably shallow.  Sorry, I
can't remember exactly *how* shallow they need to be, nothing freaky or hard
to find, but not all off-the-shelf speakers will fit.

Since Sammy is a GT, I was also able to fit a pair of speakers in the trim
panels either side of the "rear seat".  This required cutting a bit out of
the trim at the top (what would be the door capping if it was a door), but I
achieved this pretty neatly I believe, it all looks like it's meant to be
there!

Footwells are not really ideal for speaker placement, from a sound point of
view.  It can all get a bit muffled in there, and you are likely to lose a
lot of sound quality.  Not that the door panels are a great deal better,
since the only option is right at the bottom.  Also I'm not sure if fixing
the speaker directly to a metal panel, as I would guess you have to, will
have an effect on sound quality?

If you have a flash drive sticking out of your stereo, is it going to
interfere with the gearstick?  Guess it depends where on the stereo the USB
port is.

Just a few thoughts...

Richard & Sammy ('73 Black Tulip BGT)