[Mgs] Thermostats and overheating - 80B

Richard Gosling rbgosling at googlemail.com
Thu May 21 02:23:33 MDT 2009

You can never fix an overheating problem by fitting a lower temperature
thermostat, unless of course the current thermostat is broken and failing to
open properly.  If your engine is running at 200 degress, a 180deg
thermostat will be just as open as a 160deg thermostat.

Have you tried flushing the coolant system?  It could just be clogged up
with years (decades?) of muck.  Buy a bottle of radiator flush from your
local car accessory shop and follow the instructions.

Is the engine running right?  Too advanced, or too lean, can cause
overheating.

There is of course the possibility of a false reading on the temp gauge,
caused by a failed voltage stabiliser.  But if you are noticing a different
behaviour in your fans then I guess your overheating is more likely to be
real.

Just a couple of ideas for you to work on...

Richard & Sammy ('73 Black Tulip BGT)