[Mgs] Wisconsin Auction MGB part2 of 2

David Woerpel dwoerpel at wi.net
Fri May 8 17:22:25 MDT 2009

1968 MGB:  Better condition than the Sprite.  It does have rocker covers
covering bad rocker and external sills.  I infer from that the interior
and castle rail are probably shot.  Floors were fairly good and I didn't
detect any holes.  Bonnet has a basketball size dent that, if steel, can
be fixed.  Trunk fairly good with light surface rust in spots.
Underneath is good as well.  Dash is cracked in the usual place.
Instruments original, seats need to be redone as does carpeting and the
interior panels (may be made presentable by the "We Tight" crowd).
Engine original with smog equip. removed.  I know the mechanics that
took care of the car and they would have kept it running and made some
improvements.  However the car appears to be, like the Sprite, VERY
original.  And again, if it were me I would do a ground up, keep it
original (at least the obvious parts ;-)  ), and probably spend $10k
doing it.  Wish I could bid on both of these cars but a new garage has
top priority.  Never was good on timing....a lot of missed
opportunities.  Damn hobby; never satisfied!

Anyway, the 30-40 Krag is an unmolested model 98 and in great shape.
The .303 Enfield child's sporter in in good shape too and the raw wood
block extension on the butt can be removed.  There is a Japanese (Type
99??) rifle in great condition but, of course, has the chrysanthemum
ground off.  I've only seen one with it on as they had to be defaced to
legally bring them into the country, or so the legend goes.  The 44 mag
with long barrel (11") and scope is a nice "uncle frightener".

The diesel Benz runs and sounds good.  Don't know about the XJ but there
is a 12 cyl engine with attached slushbox sitting in the corner of the
garage.  TR6 also very dubious.  Corvette doesn't sound good and the 924
runs.

I shall be there with my Spridgets shirt on trying to figure out a way
to stuff the Jag V12 lump into the Bugeye.

End of report.

Dave "The Scrounger" Woerpel

Previously on 24: