[Mgs] [!! SPAM] Re: Ah, the details........

Bob Howard mgbob at juno.com
Wed Mar 25 07:32:55 MST 2009

  More than one might, at first thought, believe.
  Many aviation engines are inverted, as that increases propeller tip
clearance to the earth.
  Look up the ever popular  De Havilland Gypsy II, 4 cylinder, vertical,
air cooled, in line, direct drive, wet sump, 114mm bore, 140mm stroke,
5713 cc, rated 108-110 hp at 2000 rpm.  5.2 compression, weight 298 lbs,
burning 6.75 gal/hour @2000 rpm and 1.25 pints oil.
  Teasing you a bit--this is information I found in a 1941 book about av
engines, edited  by E. Molloy.  Molloy wrote "The well known de Havilland
range of 'Gipsy' engines are probably as familiar to all aircraft
engineers as the 'Morris' engines are to the motor-car engineer."

Bob