[Mgs] unusual machine

Max Heim max_heim at sbcglobal.net
Sun Mar 22 14:11:22 MST 2009

Yeah, it can. I'm sure there is a limit to the complexity attainable, but
that is what it does.

I'm not sure precisely how this brand operates, but one way it works is by
starting with a vat of heat-hardening transparent plastic. Then three
lasers, one each in the x,y and z axes, focus on a single spot, which heats
it enough to harden instantly. Controlled by computer, the lasers scan the
three-dimensional volume of the liquid, hardening only those areas occupied
by a solid in the "model". These solid parts do not have to be contiguous.

When done, the excess liquid is washed away, revealing the assembled object.

It may be done with a powder instead of a liquid, or a "soft" solid.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149