[Mgs] Offset and stud circle adapter

Larry Colen lrc at red4est.com
Sat Mar 7 14:33:21 MST 2009

After a long hiatus, I'm starting to work towards putting my
supercharged BGT back on the road. As much as I love to build motors,
I'm going to give in to the inevitable that I'm not going to have time
to assemble the motor in the forseeable future and am commisioning a
friend to do it.

I was pricing tires for my daily driver beater miata, the one that was
supposed to get me by for a few months until I got the MG back on the
road, five years ago. Fifteen inch tires are a lot cheaper than
fourteen.

Once Jasmine is running again, I may well want to use these tires on
her, but I don't have 15" MG wheels. I do however, have pleny of 15"
Miata wheels.

It seems to me, that the offset is different enough, and in the right
direction, between Miata, Honda etc. and MGB, that I could make a
spacer, that is an inch or so thick. It would have two sets of four
holes, 45 degrees apart. One set would be drilled and tapered to bolt
to the hub, with a 4" lug diameter.

The other set would be drilled for wheel lugs on a 100mm lug diameter.

It might be a bit heavy, but close to the hub, so that should reduce
the polar moment, and for track use, I could get a set of lightweight
panasports on the MGB bolt pattern.

Has anyone tried this? Is it already commercially available? Or is
there not enough difference in offsets to have room for the lugs and
nuts?

Not only would this allow me to use wheels that I already have, but I
think that the greater offset on the wheel might improve airflow
around the brakes.

--
Every medium suffers from its own particular handicap. Photography's
greatest handicap is the ease with which the medium as such can be