[Mgs] clutch?

rabeys at aol.com rabeys at aol.com
Sun Jun 28 22:59:37 MDT 2009

I took a long road trip recently and noticed I was having difficulty downshifting to 3rd...even if I double clutched.? I noticed that there was substantial shaking in the gear shift.? So bad that if you grabbed onto it and held it tight, it felt like it was shaking your whole body.? Bad enough that the vibration caused part of the heat shield for my carbs to break off.? When I stopped to see what fell off the car...again, I was unable to shift the car into gear after I started her.?

If the car is off, I can shift into any gear whether or not the clutch is in or out.? If the car is running and I started it in neutral, I am unable to get it into any gear...clutch depressed of course.? If I stop the car, and put her in 2nd, I am able to start her and drive in 2nd...however, if I attempt to shift while driving, I am only able to put her in neutral and then I am unable to get her back into 2nd.?

The last time I had tranny work done was in 2006.? In looking at the receipt, it doesnt look like clutch work was done at the same time.? Does this sound like a clutch issue?? Throw out bearing?? Thinking and hoping it is not the tranny again.

Appreciate any help...Stephanie