[Mgs] Flushing the cooling system?

Eugene Balinski eugeneb at nni.com
Tue Jun 23 09:09:12 MDT 2009

Burping is the process of removing unwanted air from the
cooling system.  In some cars, enough air can hide in the
way that hoses run and or in castings to prevent the proper
filling of the cooling system, thereby causing overheating.
 Some cars even have air relief valves at certain parts of
the cooling system that are opened when coolant is added.
 It is akin to removing the air from an older force hot
water heating system in your house.

   I do not believe that this applies to early B's.  Not
sure about earlier cars.   However, when I was filling my
80 B through the neck above the thermostat, the cooling
system appeared full.   I grabbed the lower radiator hoes,
and gave it a squeeze.  The coolant level in the funnel in
the filer neck  rose, then a bunch of air came out (hence
the burp) and the coolant level retreated.  I added more
coolant and repeated the process until no more air was
expelled.  I believe that part of the problem is that the
radiator on the late B's is an indirect fill type - i.e you
need to put the coolant in the fill above the thermostat as
well as in the expansion tank.

  This is what I have found.  I am interested in hearing
about the experiences of other on the list.

Safety Fast,
   Gene

80 B