[Mgs] Testing and repairing the fuel gauge

William Killeffer wkilleffer at comcast.net
Sat Jun 13 09:06:38 MDT 2009

Hey everyone,

The fuel gauge on my 1974 MGB has not been working for awhile. After
starting the car, the needle will rise up to a point between the two
lowest markings on the gauge and stay there. Initially, I thought the
float on the sending unit might have failed, but on a really hot day
recently, the gauge came to life and gave a reading that seemed more
or less accurate based on the mileage since the last fill-up. But it
didn't last too long and went back to its dormant state after about 20
minutes.

It did it again last weekend. It was a hot day that day as well. Once
again, the reading seemed to be as accurate as those gauges ever are.
Something I've noticed both times is that it seems a little balky when
it does this. The needle's movement isn't smooth, whereas the temp
gauge needle always moves smoothly. It's like a connection's bad or
the gauge is having problems.

The temp gauge works just fine. Both gauges are plugged into a voltage
stabilizer that might be original to the car.

I've seen a method that's used to test the operation of the gauge that
involves some kind of connection to the wire that plugs into the
sending unit.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you,
-Bill