[Mgs] Steering column question

Glenn Schnittke g.schnittke at comcast.net
Mon Jul 27 18:52:12 MDT 2009

Today's job was refurbing the steering column on my '67 Redcar. I'll
come back later on why I hate red cars.

Stock column with the felt lower 'bearing' and the plastic upper bearing.

Let's just say that the felt is a job of work. I had heard that it was
going to be a very tight fit putting the shaft back into the casing with
a new felt. I did it by the book - soaking the felt in graphited oil (in
fact, overnight) and there's no other info in the book. I remembered
somebody on the list a l-o-o-o-n-n-g time ago saying that it was a piece
of work getting the column back in. I wasn't expecting quite the effort,
but got it in. A good friend who had done the same job on a Morris Minor
didn't quite laugh out loud when he heard I was doing this.

The question, for anyone who has done this job, is this; how long does
it take to bed in and actually be driveable? It's tight enough that the
steering won't return to center. Ray said that his Minor took months. He
didn't drive it every day - maybe once or twice a month. I normally
drive the Redcar every day if it's not down for scheduled maintenance.

Glenn