[Mgs] Tires (or lack of same)

Paul Hunt paul.hunt1 at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Jul 16 02:02:46 MDT 2009

Most people have no idea what to do in oversteer, which is what happens when
you have more grip at the front than the rear.  Oversteer is 'safe' in that
the car is still travelling in a straighter line than the driver intended and
they aren't disorientated by spinning.  Oversteer is easily handled on an MGB,
but modern suspension design is usually such that you get snap-oversteer and
even if you know what to do unless you are pretty competent you don't get the
chance to do it.  I used to amuse myself drifting round an roundabout in the
wet on a deserted industrial estate on a Sunday morning in my V8, but when I
tried it in a Sierra it could go round much faster without doing anything,
then very suddenly break away.  Spoilt the fun.

In the UK it's illegal to have cross-plies on the rear and radials on the
front, in my impecunious youth I had to shell-out for a back pair months
before I could afford to buy a front pair and get the benefit.  It's also
illegal to have wider on the front than the rear.

  I recently read in Click and Clack that you were supposed to put the good
  tires on the rear, but this made no sense to me.