[Mgs] Tires (or lack of same)

Max Heim max_heim at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 15 16:35:36 MDT 2009

For the last few months the MG has been tootling about on rear tires with
perhaps 1/32" tread depth (generous estimate). While in the rainy season
this was a little dicey (wheelspin at every stoplight), now that the roads
are dry and hot, it is actually pretty entertaining. Kind of like this
drifting fad I keep reading about...

I recently read in Click and Clack that you were supposed to put the good
tires on the rear, but this made no sense to me. I guess that advice comes
from irrational fear of oversteer (generally espoused by manufacturers). To
me, it's more important to be able to stop and turn, than to keep the rear
end in line under every conceivable circumstance, even if it involves
plowing nose first into the obstacle.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149