[Mgs] setting valves after head machining / 1500 MGA

Paul Hunt paul.hunt1 at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Jul 14 02:00:08 MDT 2009

They were to put a bit of bending torque on the rocker shaft to stop it
twisting in use, and were only under the middle two pedestals of MGBs as a
modification.  Someone must have taken a lot of material off the head and/or
block for you to run out of adjustment if the valve seats aren't recessed,
shimming the rockers would only put those back to where they were so I can't
see a problem with that if it is the cause.  But whose to say the 'redoer'
didn't recut the valve seats as well which would add to the issue?  Are you
sure you have the right cam followers and push-rods?  Are they correctly
seated?

  My MGB head had shims on the rocker brackets from the factory, so it's not
  like that is an outrageous suggestion. But the shims were only maybe 0.005"
  to 0.010", and that would hardly seem enough difference to cause one to run
  out of valve adjustment.