[Mgs] Non Healey/MG question

Bob Howard mgbob at juno.com
Tue Jul 7 14:45:56 MDT 2009

   One thing you can check yourself is that the wheels are round.
   Reassured that their mounting and balancing of new tires was accurate
initially, and that their checking revealed no inbalance, and that the
tires were OK, etc etc, the source of my mysterious vibration was that
two of the wheels were bent, probably by the tire installers, as there
had been no vibration with the old tires.  Vibration was evident in the
steering wheel even when all wheels had been tried in all positions.
   Raise the tire off the ground. Holding a pencil braced on a block,
turn the wheel slowly and check for out of plane and out of round, on
both inner and outer sections of the rim. Mine had been bent inward on
the inner rim.
   Another thing to check is fluid level in the dampers. It could be that
a wheel would bounce a little even though the bumper-bounce test seems to
be OK.
Bob