[Mgs] Trans-ship me a gasket!

Eric Erickson eric at erickson.on.net
Sat Jan 17 09:00:31 MST 2009

Guys,

I am looking to buy a head gasket for my new engine from the Cometic
Gasket people in Concord, OH.

Yes, there is a Cometic distributor in Australia but it seems they don't
have the exact gasket I need and would have to "special order" it in...
so I am probably better off trying to get it from Cometic myself
(maybe).  The guys at Cometic said they don't stock any of these
specific gaskets and they would have to make one up, which would take a
few days.

This is the "maybe" part.

Cometic have given me a part number and have quoted me a price... but
their quoted cost of shipping the item is horrendous (about half the
cost of the item again and the gasket price is $US94.00).

Why is it that many American companies I have dealt with don't have the
option of cheap surface mail but rather (with no option offered) they
stick it in an express parcel delivery service?  I don't need the thing
overnight!

Can't they just wander down to the post office and hand it over the
counter for mail to Australia?

Anyway, after that rant... maybe I can pay twice and still get it
cheaper?  If find someone that lives nearby maybe I could have it
delivered to them and then pay them to mail it to me... SLOW BOAT, CHEAP
AS POSSIBLE!

Does this sound reasonable... feasible... plausible?

Eric
Adelaide, South Australia