[Mgs] Ugly tappets

Max Heim max_heim at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jan 11 13:22:49 MST 2009

Before I started reassembling the head on my MGB, I thought it would be
prudent to take a gander at the tappets. It turned out they were pretty
nasty looking. See photos here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mvheim/sets/72157612402265283/

In brief, they were pitted, the edges were chipped, and none of them showed
the faintest trace of convexity -- in fact, they would be better described
as concave. Numbers 4 and 8 even had clear wear patterns showing that they
had not been rotating at any time recently.

Curiously, the cam lobes themselves appeared perfectly smooth, with no
grooves, and the plating did not appear worn through.

So I'm wondering if I can just install a new set of tappets and break them
in. Comments?

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149