[Mgs] Ignition Switch Issues?

Paul Hunt paul.hunt1 at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Jan 11 04:01:17 MST 2009

Why the starter button?  To look good or because the ignition switch was on
the way out?  If the latter then it probably is the switch failed a bit more.
OTOH it sounds like the ignition wire (white) has been moved to the start
position (white/red) instead and the white/red left off.  A 67 ignition switch
should only have three wires - brown on 3, white on 2 and white/red on 1.  Off
only brown/3 should be powered.  In the run position brown/3 and white/2
should be powered.  In the start position all three should be powered.  If you
find that in the off and run positions only the brown is powered, but in start
all three are powered, then it looks like the brown and white/red wires have
been reversed, i.e. maybe someone thought the terminal numbering was logical!

  ... I found that if I turn the ignition switch all the way to the
  "start" position, the fuel pump starts, and if the starter button is
  depressed, the starter motor engages and the engine cranks. When the switch
  is allowed to return to the "on" position, the engine dies because the fuel
  pump stops.