[Mgs] Common Language

The Roxter rocknatural at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 11:51:27 MST 2009

Rod Williams wrote:
> On Jan 6, 2009, at 9:38 PM, Simon Matthews wrote:
>
>> who told you that English was written phonetically? They were wrong.
>
> A number of years ago while working in the South of England, I had a
> day off to myself and decided to drive to the British Motor Museum. It
> is located in Beaulieu, Hampshire. For years I had worked with a brand
> of French motion picture camera spelled the same, which was always
> pronounced "Bo-Lew". Of course, I got lost driving to the museum but
> knew I was very close. Several times I stopped to ask the locals where
> "Bo-Lew" was and was met with blank stares. Finally, I asked where
> "Bo-Lew" was "you know, where the Motor Museum is". The local laughed
> and responded "oh, you're looking for "Bu-Lee"" I have never, never
> asked how "Beaulieu" became "Bu-Lee" and I never will. The museum was
> fantastic.
Yes, it sure is, and the drive to the museum through the New Forest is also spectacular. There's a very good reason they pronounce it "Bewlee." It's the same reason they pronounce garage "gare ij" and Bernard "Burn urd." It's the same reason Texans mispronounce Spanish names. It's to show contempt.

-The Roxter