[Mgs] List Down?

Simon Matthews simon.d.matthews at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 22:38:31 MST 2009

Mark,

who told you that English was written phonetically? They were wrong.
Perhaps centuries ago, but not now.

Regarding place names, the "cester" part is usually pronounced as one
syllable ("ster") -- there are other examples, such as "Leicester".
Other names that have a convention on pronunciation that doesn't match
the spelling include: "Edinburgh" (burgh = borough), Warwick (the "w"
is silent in all "-wick" names), etc..

Unless you want an argument, don't  ask about the pronunciation of
Shrewsbury -- even the locals can't agree about this.

Simon