[Mgs] Tire question

Max Heim max_heim at sbcglobal.net
Fri Feb 27 17:22:18 MST 2009

Yeah, I realize I can get original spec sizes from Coker, but 1) I am not a
stickler for originality when it comes to operational aspects, and 2) I
can't see paying over twice the price for less performance (compared to any
kind of modern radial). My car is merely a fun driver -- an actual
decent-looking original car might merit a different approach.

I was comparing some other sizes and it looks like 175/70-14 is basically
equivalent in diameter to the original 155R14 (so at least it won't be any
worse insofar as ground clearance), and won't be such a stretch on the 4.5"
rims. My 175s look pretty bulgy already, so I was really dubious about 185s.

Sumitomo HTR200s at 175/70-14 are only $45 each at Tire Rack (and are ranked
#1 in category, whatever that means). That's even cheaper than the Pirellis.
They will ship to my local shop for mounting. I would imagine that these
would take the same size tube as the 175R14.