[Mgs] Unleaded fuel and Cylinder Head

Barney Gaylord barneymg at mgaguru.com
Sat Feb 21 16:04:08 MST 2009

At 04:08 PM 2/21/2009 -0800, Tom Buchanan wrote:
>I know this has come up many times but not when I'm doing my heads.
>The '65 head goes to the machine shop next week. I need to know what
>parts to replace to allow me to safely burn unleaded fuel.

As a bare minimum, install hardened steel seats for the exhaust
valves while it's in the machine shop.

If you plan to drive it more than 50,000 miles in the next 10 years,
or drive it hard like racing or regular trailer towing, then also
consider Stellite exhaust valves and hard seats for the intake valves.

I also like bronze valve guides for the longevity, particularly
100,000 miles or more.  They are relatively cheap but require .0010"
to .0015" additional stem clearance to accomodate more inward thermal
expansion of the guide, so some machine shop might give you a hard
time about using bronze guides (or might get it wrong).

Umbrella type valve seals are optional.  They could reduce oil
consumption some.  If you use iron guides, install unbrella seals on
intake valves only, as iron exhaust guides need a little oil.  For
bronze guides you can use the best valve seals available, as bronze
is self-lubricating and doesn't need the oil.

$.03,

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude (and 370,000 miles)
http://MGAguru.com