[Mgs] clutch saga continues

Bob Howard mgbob at juno.com
Fri Feb 20 08:27:05 MST 2009

Oliver,
   Clutches usually stick in the engaged position if the vehicle is not
driven for an extended period. Some owners push and hold the clutch pedal
down with a stick during winter storage.
   When that happens, though, your foot pressure does not disengage the
clutch. The pedal doesn't go down.  It should not go down unless the
clutch lever is moving. The lever moves only 1/2 inch or so.
   Clutch hydraulics are quite similar to brake hydraulics, and the cups
do not blow out when brakes are forced on in a panic stop.  If the clutch
lever is not moving, the cup should not blow off the piston, as this is
similar situation to fully-applied brakes in which the shoes and the disc
pads cannot move beyond a certain point.
   You wrote that there were no directions in the cylinder rebuild kit.
If you have the Bentley workshop manual, the illustration you need is on
p.144, fig E6.   Starting at the hose connection:
        spring, cup filler, piston cup, piston, boot clip, rubber boot,
large boot clip.
        The hollow of the piston cup fits on the spring; the hollow of
the cup fits over the piston cup and faces the hose.     Think of it as
the movement of the fluid from the master cylinder should push and expand
the cup under pressure.    I am wondering if the piston cup (filler cup)
is missing.
    I don't think that striking with hammer will do anything good. The
hammer strikes the lever, which pivots on the pin, then pushes the carbon
throwout bearing which pushes the clutch.  Lots of ways to dissipate
energy and to break something. You may have a frozen/stuck clutch, but
that is separate from the hydraulic issue.
 Bob

On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 20:38:12 -0600 "oliver" <sumton at sbcglobal.net>
writes:> swapped it, no clutch.  tried to bleed the clutch; fluid came