[Mgs] clutch saga continues

oliver sumton at sbcglobal.net
Thu Feb 19 19:38:12 MST 2009

vehicle: 73 b roadster

issue: had an OD tranny in it that was iffy.  had the original, good tranny,
so i figured for now i'd swap them, and once my kids were out of college
<grin> i could have it rebuilt.

swapped it, no clutch.  tried to bleed the clutch; fluid came pouring out of
the dust cover (this is an aftermarket one, not the original type).  took it
out, took it apart, and the seal had turned sideways so fluid was going past
it.  put it back in correctly, reinstalled it, bled it, same problem.  put a
brand new one in; same problem.  bled it and it was getting good pedal and
then boom - fluid pours out of the dust seal.

so, i'm thinking the clutch part of the original tranny that sat around, for
sevaral months in the car port until it got put in the attic, is stuck.

what happens if i hit it with a hand sledge?  maybe use a block of wood to
absorb some of the impace and prevent my breaking it?  should i use a pry
bar?  "it" being the piece that sticks out of the tranny.  or do i have to
remove the whole darn thing again?

thoughts?