[Mgs] clutch slave cylinder question

The Roxter rocknatural at gmail.com
Sat Feb 14 10:51:15 MST 2009

oliver wrote:
> hello, all.
>
> a little background: two or three years ago we swapped out a good tranny for
> an OD unit.  at that time we also replaced the clutch, tob, and pilot
> bearing.  at some point in the past i also replaced the slave unit, probably
> the hose, and switched to DOT 5.  the OD unit was purportedly OK, but had
> issues.  so we did the swap again last week, and the clutch didn't seem to be
> working.  the car is still on jacks, and not running due to another issue
> which i hope to solve saturday.
>
> i thought i had an ez bleed, so i removed the bleeder screw from the slave
> unit.  whoops.  i had to put it back, after all the fluid drained out.  so my
> wife helped me bleed it, and i got some good air spurts.  then all i got was
> fluid, so we quit.  she would pump it 5 or 6 times, then i would open and
> close.
>
> from underneath i see the rubber on the end of the slave unit expanding when
> she pumps, but i don't see the arm move.  is that normal?
>
> do i need to unbolt the slave unit so the bleed screw faces up?  am i missing
> something?  did i lose the slave unit somehow during the swap (it remained on
> the car tied off)?  or ????
One thing I noticed is that you appear to be using the bleed method used for older US cars, pump up, then release the screw, then re-tighten. Frankly, I have never been successful using this method on LBC's. I place a clear plastic tubing on the bleed screw, with the other end in 1/2" of fluid in a bottle. Loosen the bleeder screw, then slowly and evenly pump the pedal around five or six times, then close the screw, top up the master and repeat until no bubbles come down the tube. Personally, I also go under the car and tap on the lines and cylinders with a small wrench or hammer (to free up any trapped bubbles) and then bleed again.

-The Roxter