[Mgs] clutch slave cylinder question

oliver sumton at sbcglobal.net
Fri Feb 13 21:59:23 MST 2009

hello, all.

a little background: two or three years ago we swapped out a good tranny for
an OD unit.  at that time we also replaced the clutch, tob, and pilot
bearing.  at some point in the past i also replaced the slave unit, probably
the hose, and switched to DOT 5.  the OD unit was purportedly OK, but had
issues.  so we did the swap again last week, and the clutch didn't seem to be
working.  the car is still on jacks, and not running due to another issue
which i hope to solve saturday.

i thought i had an ez bleed, so i removed the bleeder screw from the slave
unit.  whoops.  i had to put it back, after all the fluid drained out.  so my
wife helped me bleed it, and i got some good air spurts.  then all i got was
fluid, so we quit.  she would pump it 5 or 6 times, then i would open and
close.

from underneath i see the rubber on the end of the slave unit expanding when
she pumps, but i don't see the arm move.  is that normal?

do i need to unbolt the slave unit so the bleed screw faces up?  am i missing
something?  did i lose the slave unit somehow during the swap (it remained on
the car tied off)?  or ????

thanks!