[Mgs] Setting Toe-in

Glenn Schnittke g.schnittke at comcast.net
Sun Feb 8 17:13:30 MST 2009

>Seeking suggestions for easiest way to measure toe-in accurately without
>professional equipment.  I'm currently using 2 pieces of rectangular
>aluminum bar taped to each tire.  But, that is affected by the shape of the
>tire.  Without making a jig that attaches to the wheels, how do you helpful
>folks recommend I do this?

I have done this quite accurately with a long stick, two pencils or
sharpened pieces of rod (preferably about the length of the tire radius),
and a pair of straight pins.

Find a stick long enough to reach from the outside of one tire to the
outside of the other. FIRMLY attach the sharpened pencils or rod to the
stick at a point near the center of each tire. On a flat surface roll the
car straight forward a few feet to get everything centered. Set the stick
with the rods leaning against the rear of the tires and near the radius
height and mark each point with a straight pin. Roll the car forwad again
until the pins are at the front quadrant at about the same height. Measure
the difference. Do your math and adjust the tie-rods accordingly. It may
take a few tries to get it right, but I've found it just as accurate as any
professional toe setting equipment. REMOVE THE STRAIGHT PINS.

Moss, VB, etc., sell a cheap toe gauge that works quite well. I have one
and have found the math a little stranger, but quicker. I seem to remember
mine didn't cost more than thirty bucks, but I've had it a long time.

After I wrote that I checked. It's Moss p/n 387-085 and now costs $49.95
from them. I don't work for Moss, nor do any of my relatives. I've talked
to Kelvin on the phone, and on the substance of that conversation, I like
him, but that's as far as I'm going unless I get bailout money or a kickback.

Glenn
Glenn Schnittke
615-319-5534
g.schnittke at comcast.net