[Mgs] MGA FUEL PUMP

Bob Howard mgbob at juno.com
Thu Dec 17 06:47:34 MST 2009

   In the MGA workshop manual is a procedure for checking the pump,
section D.6 of the text.  It is a rig that holds the pump so that it can
pump into a container, and it should deliver a pint per minute of the
paraffin suggested for the test instead of fuel.
   You can do a similar test on the car. Disconnect the output hose from
a carb and pump into a container, having first disconnected power to the
ignition and taken precautions against spillage.  WS manual says to run
the pump for ten minutes before the measurement, though the context was
for a newly-rebuilt pump.  If you test this way, do run it for at least
five minutes, to avoid an experience similar to mine in which the pump
pumped just fine---for about a minute--then would stop.   There is a
filter screen at the bottom of the pump. WS manual says to clean at 6000
miles.
  Were the carbs OK before you removed the head?  If they were drained of
fuel before storage, their condition will not have changed.
Bob