[Mgs] oil filter

Bob Howard mgbob at juno.com
Tue Dec 15 12:00:21 MST 2009

  I cannot tell you the purpose of the metal tube, but it is intended to
be there.  Check Section A.1 in the workshop manual for an illustration
of the "later type filter (disposable cartridge).  If it's finger tight,
you might want to figure a way to keep it securely in place.
  Any auto parts store will have a filter to fit the '73 engine, as the
same filter was used on several million Ford V8s.  Wix # is 51068 and
NAPA uses same # without the 5.   There has been discussion of the best
filter brand.  MOPAR enthusiasts publish somewhere a comparison of
filters.  Wix/NAPA rated well on their tests and are easily available, so
those are what I use, but others rated similarly. They did not care for
the Fram PH8, however. Apparently Fram, once considered a premium filter,
has been reduced in quality to lower cost and selling price.   Testing
these oneself isn't simple or easy, but as their conclusions appeared
valid, I see no point to saving a dollar on a filter while jeopardising
$4000 of engine.
Bob