[Mgs] Question About Oil Loss

wilkmanracing at aol.com wilkmanracing at aol.com
Sun Dec 6 11:49:46 MST 2009

I've had the following experience with both an MGB (race car) I used to own
and an MGA (street car) I currently own.  After the rebuild of the engines in
both these cars, oil leaked from the rear crankshaft "seal" area.  In both
cases, the cars were relatively leak-free while running, but dropped
significant amounts of oil after turning the engine off.  The B had this
problem right after the rebuild.  The A didn't exhibit this problem unitl
after around 900 miles of post rebuild driving.  Both cars had no obstructions
in their breather tubes.  The B, in fact, had two breathers attached to the
engine.  Different rebuilders did the work on each engine and both are known
for skills in building race engines for British cars.  I'm told there is no
after market seal that really works on these cars.

I'd be interested to hear what others think of this situation.

Bill Wilkman